For the last 2 weeks I’ve been gradually weaning Little Man from breastfeeding to bottle feeding between 8am and 6pm in preparation for him starting nursery on Monday (Yikes!).
Week 1 was the morning bottle. LM will have a breastfeed first thing when we wake, then a bottle of formula milk around 4 hours later. This has worked out ok. He only takes around 2 ounces of milk, but as my boobs don’t have a gauge perhaps he only drank this much from me.
4 hours after the morning bottle he’d have a breastfeed and then a breastfeed at bedtime. I also breastfeed if he wakes overnight.
Week 2 was the afternoon bottle. LM started to have the afternoon feed as formula instead of breast.
It’s been emotional for me. I’ve learnt that:
1. Formula milk is expensive. I paid £11 for a tub of Aptamil milk. Breast milk was free!
2. Bottle feeding is fiddly; I have to sterilise, make up bottles, wash up…
3. Bottle feeding takes preparation. If I go out I only had to remember my boobs when breastfeeding.
4. LM likes his milk cool! But he loves the boob… men are strange.
5. I miss the snuggles during the day. I don’t get the same closeness when bottle feeding.
6. My body has adjusted ridiculously well. I only begin to feel engorged right before the bedtime feed.
7. My NatureBond breast pump is brilliant. During the night feeds I squeeze it on to the boob I’m not feeding from and it catches excess milk. This saves me expressing for LMs cereal in the morning.
8. Hubby still doesn’t help with the feeding during his days off. Even though he can now make the bottle and feed LM without my in put.
9. It has taken trying 5 different bottle brands to find one LM likes. He’s chosen Nuk. German engineering in a baby bottle… both Hubby and I work for German companies. It’s taken over our lives.
10. The Perfect Prep was worth £60! I hit the roof when hubby bought it as it’s a lot of money. It does make a bottle in 2 minutes though without me needing to measure out water or worry about temperature.
I’m still breastfeeding first thing, bedtime and overnight. I’m happy to keep going with this for as long as LM wants. I love the ease of breastfeeding and the bond.